Friday, July 27, 2012

The Return of Lovely Links

{I haven't done one of these Lovely Links posts in almost exactly a year. I know why I stopped: Pinterest. I figured you could find all sorts of links to things I find informative/interesting/awesome by checking out my pins. But I've been thinking about it lately and I think I'll bring back the occasional Lovely Link post to highlight some of the things I've found particularly enlightening and cool lately.}


It finally rained here! And not just a few scattered drops here and there, but a full-fledged rainstorm! I grabbed an umbrella (my practically perfect umbrella, I might add) and the baby for some much-needed puddle time and to get that just-rained air into our lungs! (My other boy couldn't join us because he was sick -- don't worry, he had Return of the Jedi to make it easier to stay inside.) This summer has been so dry and much of it has been smoky from dozens of wildfires. The rain was definitely a welcomed and wonderful change of pace.  

Anyway, I can't believe that it's already the end of July. We still have so many summery things to do before school starts (Sigh...my first baby in kindergarten. Still wrestling with that idea.). We're still waiting for our first homegrown tomato and the first egg from our hens, too. I love this time of year.

Except when it gets too hot. I can keep my thermostat low in the wintertime and be totally fine; I'm a complete wimp when it comes to the heat. So, during the times when it is too hot to do much of anything, I do a little reading. Here are a few of cool links I've come across lately...

10+ Ways to Beat Rising Food Prices :: Frugally Sustainable
If you've read the news, you've probably seen the toll the drought has taken on the corn crops in the Midwest. As a result, corn prices are on the rise. Even if you don't eat a lot of processed foods or corn-fed meat,  the shortage will mostly likely affect your food budget. The post above has a lot of good, practical advice on how to keep your food budget under control even when prices go up.

The Lady's Coleslaw :: Food Network
This recipe for coleslaw (it's the only Paula Deen recipe I've ever tried) is awesome. I've made it three or four times this summer already. It's really easy to make and it's so good. We've had it on hot dogs (my husband lived in the South for a couple years before we got married and grew to love slaw dogs while he was there), on pulled pork sandwiches, and even on beef tacos (I bet it'd be amazing on fish tacos).  Anyway, this recipe is a keeper. Make a batch for your next summer picnic or barbecue.

Printable Back-to-School Countdown Chain :: Life Your Way
Like I mentioned earlier, I am feeling really ambivalent about my little guy starting kindergarten. He's so ready to go; I'm just not sure I'm all that ready. Anyway, I just found this fun way to savor all things summer-related while also gearing up for school.We're big fans of countdown chains at our house (we make them for Christmas, days until we go to Disneyland, etc.) because it's a good way to give little kids a sense of time.

10 Simple Things to Make You Happier at Home :: Apartment Therapy
I love this. This list could change your life. Even just doing the first thing listed has made a big difference for me already.

Hope your weekend is wonderful!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails