Thursday, March 29, 2012

Off the Needles: The Laurel Love Cocoon

I didn't know how to knit when I was pregnant with either of my boys so I never did the excited, nesting sort of knitting. I wish I had. There's something just sort of lovely about an expectant mom knitting blankets, bonnets, and booties.  {Speaking of babies, my sweet little baby turns one year old tomorrow. Already.}


However, there has been a new arrival in our extended family since I learned to knit: my cute little nephew, Everett. I figured it was a perfect opportunity to knit this "love cocoon". Not only did it seem like a good beginner-level project, but it looked so sweet and snuggly.

{Photo courtesy of my brother-in-law, Richard.}

This project came together pretty quickly -- well, once I figured out how to do the magic loop technique. When I first started it, I hadn't read the instructions that well and was so confused why I would be using a 40" circular for only 40 cast-on stitches! Anyway, I watched a few different video tutorials about magic loop and found this one from VeryPink to be the most helpful. It took a little bit of trial and error to get the technique down. I'm so glad I learned it, though, because I've used it a couple times since (in my attempt to avoid double pointed needles -- they seem so tricky!).

For this project, I used a skein of super-bulky, washable blue yarn and a size US 13 40" circular needle. (You can find my Ravelry notes here). The Laurel Love Cocoon pattern (which you can find here for free) is well-written and so simple to follow. I can't recommend it enough. It makes for a wonderful and personal baby gift. In fact, I'm going to be casting on soon to make two more of them for my twin nephews coming in July. Newborns are usually happiest when they're swaddled and I can't think anything nicer than swaddling them up in something that has love knit into every stitch.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails