Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Random Reuses: Toilet Paper Rolls Turned Bird Feeders

One man's trash is little birdie's treasure.

About a month ago, my little boy went to a birthday party where all the kids made bird feeders.  I was impressed not only by the clever simplicity of the craft, but that my friend was able to wrangle a group of three- and four-year-olds into making them.  Yesterday, as I was thinking about what to do with my cub scout den (yep, I'm a den mother. Still makes me laugh.), I decided to have them work on their Naturalist badge and I remembered this simple, easy craft. Even the ten-year-old Webelos enjoyed it. So, without further ado, here's the super-easy, super-cheap bird feeder craft.

What you need:
  • an empty toilet paper roll (that's the random reuse, in case you were wondering)
  • a piece of colorful ribbon, yarn, or string (the more colorful, the better because it attracts the birds)
  • birdseed (I bought a 5 lb. bag of the multi-bird/songbird blend for under three dollars. You can get smaller, cheaper bags of it. I got this because I knew we'd use it - we love getting birds to come to our yard.)
  • a single-hole punch
  • peanut butter (smooth or chunky - doesn't matter) 
Simply spread a layer of peanut butter on the cardboard tube and then roll it in a plate full of birdseed.  Punch a hole or two through one end, thread the yarn/ribbon/string through the hole, and tie it so you have a loop.  And you're finished. Simple and kid-friendly. That's my kind of craft.

The final step is to hang it from a tree branch. Sure, it's not much to look at, but the birds won't care.  At least they didn't seem to mind when they devoured the last one.
Related Posts with Thumbnails